- Who are you?
- What are you doing?
- What is a hippocampus extension?
- What do you believe?
- Who are you associated with?
- Can I write for Hippocampus Extensions?
Who are you?
We look a bit like this (below).
What are you doing?
Hippocampus Extensions is an online magazine that investigates the interaction of truth and the human experience, that is, the word of God and our rebellious hearts.
Philosophically, we want to fight against three A's of postmodernism: ambiguity, anonymity and apathy.
The postmodern life-liver loves:
- ambiguity because it is easy,
- anonymity because it covers shame, and
- apathy because food, clothing and shelter are readily available.
We want to be:
- specific about how to live well,
- public in our recommendation of the gospel, and
- enthusiastic about love and holiness.
Practically (and therefore spiritually), we aim to fight against sin, the world and the devil. These three enemies will distract us from the Word of God, entangle us in stupid patterns of life, and prevent us from living thankful, blameless lives until the return of our Saviour.
Say it quicker? We want you to know God.
What is a hippocampus extension?
There are at least two possible meanings:
- the hippocampus (really) is a part of the brain which “plays an important role in the formation of long-term memories”1.
We want to get the truth about Jesus into your long-term memory so that, when it matters, you will know how to act in a way that is worthy of him.
- Secondly, we want to try and resolve the specific problems that we all have in knowing how to best live for God's glory. That is, we want the tensions in your hippocampus to become ex-tensions. We can only do this by serious study of the Scriptures which contain all the wisdom and instruction we need.
1 Penguin Dictionary of Psychology, entry on the hippocampal formation.
What do you believe?
No one likes to categorise the people who follow Jesus Christ but if necessary we are evangelicals and accept the statement of faith used by the Australian Fellowship of Evangelical Students:
We believe in
- The divine inspiration and infallibility of Holy Scripture, as originally given, and its supreme authority in all matters of faith and conduct.
- The unity of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit in the Godhead.
- The universal sinfulness and guilt of human nature since the fall, rendering man subject to God's wrath and condemnation.
- The conception of Jesus Christ by the Holy Spirit and his birth of the virgin Mary.
- Redemption from the guilt, penalty and power of sin only through the sacrificial death (as our Representative and Substitute) of Jesus Christ, the Incarnate Son of God.
- The bodily resurrection of Jesus from the dead.
- The necessity of the work of the Holy Spirit to make the death of Christ effective to the individual sinner, granting him repentance toward God and faith in Jesus Christ.
- The indwelling and work of the Holy Spirit in the believer.
- The expectation of the personal return of the Lord Jesus Christ.
Who are you associated with?
We attend churches in Sydney (NSW, Australia) and are associated with the following organisations:
- Australian Fellowship of Evangelical Students
- Campus Bible Study (UNSW)
- Evangelical Christian Union (UOW)
- Ministry Training Strategy
- Matthias Media
Can I write for Hippocampus Extensions?
We aren't currently taking submissions but this may change in the future.