CALENDAR FOR READING THROUGH THE WORD OF GOD IN A YEAR
By the late Rev. R. M. M'CHEYNE, M. A.
- THE WHOLE BIBLE WILL BE READ THROUGH IN AN ORDERLY MANNER IN THE COURSE OF A YEAR. -
The Old Testament once, the New Testament and Psalms twice. I fear many
of you never read the whole Bible, and yet it is all equally divine. "All
Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for
doctrine, for reproof, for correction and instruction in righteousness,
that the man of God may be perfect." If we pass over some parts of Scripture we will be incomplete Christians.
- TIME WILL NOT BE WASTED IN CHOOSING WHAT PORTIONS TO READ. -
Often believers are at a loss to determine towards which part of the
mountains of spices they should bend their steps. Here the question will
be solved at once in a very simple manner.
- THE PASTOR WILL KNOW IN WHICH PART OF THE PASTURE THE FLOCK ARE FEEDING. -
He will thus be enabled to speak more suitably to them on the Sabbath:
and both pastor and elders will be able to drop a word of light and
comfort in visiting from house to house, which will be more readily
- THE SWEET BOND OF CHRISTIAN LOVE AND UNITY WILL BE STRENGTHENED. -
We shall often be lead to think of those dear brothers and sisters in
the Lord, who agree to join with us in reading these portions. We shall
oftener be led to agree on earth, touching something we shall ask of
God. We shall pray over the same promises, mourn over the same
confessions, praise God in the same songs, and be nourished by the same
words of eternal life.
- The centre column contains the day of the month. The first two
columns contain the chapters to be read in the family. The two last
columns contain the portions to be read in secret.
- The head of the family should previously read each chapter for
family worship, and mark two or three of the most prominent verses, upon
which he may dwell, giving a few explanatory thoughts and asking a few
- Frequently the portion named in the calendar for family reading
might be read more suitably in secret: in which case the head of the
family should intimate that it be read in private, and the chapter for
secret reading may be used in the family.
- The portions read, both for family and private readings, would
be greatly illuminated if they were preceded by a moment's silent prayer
- "Open Thou mine eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of Thy law." (Ps. cxix. 18).
- Let the conversation at the family meals frequently turn upon
the chapter read. Thus every meal will be a sacrament, being sanctified
by the Word and prayer.
- Let our private reading precede the dawning of the day. Let
God's voice be the first we hear in the morning. Mark two or three of
the richest verses, and pray over every line and word of them. Let the
marks be neatly done, never so as to abuse a copy of the Bible.
[Links to the Bible Gateway generously added by Ethan Beaver.]